Southwestern Spicy Breakfast Frittata
Frittata is based on and Italian dish which translates to “egg-cake”. It is basically a crust free quiche. The dish can have a variety of vegetables, meats, cheeses and often pasta. Frittatas are a great way to use leftover vegetables and are a simple healthy option for breakfast or lunch. The great thing about frittatas is that you can be creative and add a variety of your favorite vegetables, meats and cheeses to this simple Italian dish. I make frittatas often because they are easy and quick. As a working Mother I am always looking for ways to save time and money. I like using leftovers when possible . . . and a frittata lends itself to using leftovers. I had some pico de gallo that was made the day before. Pico de Gallo doesn’t look as nice the second day, the tomato and cilantro get soggy. So I like to use it in eggs. Today I used it in this amazing breakfast frittata. It was a little spicy but not so spicy that my kids wouldn’t eat it. I am constantly testing new recipes at Casa Linda (my nick name for my home here in New Mexico) and this recipe was a sure winner! I hope it inspires you to create some of your own delicious frittatas. Bon Appetit, Cecelia
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups tatter tots
- 8 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup pico de gallo (you can substitute 1 cup salsa)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Salsa Verde
- In a medium (10 inch) cast iron or sauté pan add the butter and tatter tots.
- Allow the tatter tots to warm through then add the pico de gallo and taco seasoning.
- Mix until blended.
- Meantime beat eggs and hot sauce in a separate mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix well to prevent sticking.
- Then add pepper jack cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tatter tot and cheese mixture.
- Transfer pan into a 400-degree oven and finish cooking for 12 - 15 minutes until the top of the frittata is lightly golden brown.
- Allow the frittata to set for 3-5 minutes before cutting.
- Gently loosen frittata edges with a spatula from the pan and slice like a pie.
- Place frittata onto a serving plate.
- Garnish with cilantro and salsa. Serve immediately.
- Pico de Gallo - see recipe below or you may substitute the salsa of your choice.
Cecelia's Good Stuff http://ceceliasgoodstuff.com/